Sunday, July 6, 2008

Week 9, Thing 20

Here's a video about Diigo - an online research tool that combines social networking and note-taking. Looks pretty cool. Although I haven't explored it yet other than watching the video, it looks like a great way to create a cooperative research project for students.

Even using the Help on the site, it took me a while to find the code to embed this in my blog. Just another example of how quickly technology changes and how important it is to teach kids how to figure stuff out, not necessarily how to use it exactly.

I find that streaming video loads pretty slowly at home, even though I have a DSL connection. My husband taught me that if I start it then hit Pause, I can wait until it's downloaded to play to avoid the stuttering. Smart boy!

This is another situation that I find overwhelming. I'm amazed that people follow this (YouTube). At the risk of sounding like an old fogey... where do they find the time?

I've looked at TeacherTube before and am generally much more impressed with it for use in schools. At least you don't have to be too worried about what kids will run into there. And much of the content is curriculum-related. And our district doesn't block it! I like the book reviews that have been done on it. Since we're getting a pod server next year, I'll likely have students put their videos on an internal server but I will certainly have students look at this site for models.


1 comment:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Nice tutorial on diigo.com. Let us know if/when you experiment with it at your school.
Best wishes.